Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Deer Hunt

Well, I finally did it! I shot my first deer. I decided that I was ready. I'd been on enough hunts, and shot enough guns, that I knew I'd be able to do it. There's not much of a story behind it. We just threw the whole family into the expedition, drove down to Mark's uncle's property in Hamilton, and drove around until we found the herd. I really had my heart set on my first deer being a buck, and lucky for me, there he was. He wasn't too big, but he was standing just 50 yards from the car, dumb as can be, so I took a shot. It was exciting. The only thing I remember is Mark yelling, "Nice shot hon, nice shot!" over and over again.

Mark's aunt even made it THAT much easier on us by driving the tractor over. Mark hoisted the buck into the bucket, and she drove right into the garage. Mark didn't even have to use any muscle to get it hung! So, after he skinned it, and we loaded it into the back of the expedition, we were finally on our way back home, and Mark spots another buck, about 60 yards from the car, just lying there, staring him down. He couldn't resist. Bang!

I was a tiny bit peeved because he just couldn't give me my day. Not only did he have to go and shoot a deer after mine, but it was a bigger buck than mine too!

Really, I'm just glad that I got my first one, and that we have some more meat in the freezer. Next year I'm going for a mule deer, these whitetail are just too small :)

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

I can't help but notice that you are wearing your state requirement of bright orange "hey don't shoot me" daywear. And you still manage to look hot.